‘The water is coming’: Florida Keys faces stark reality as seas rise
Officials prepare to elevate streets despite financial shortfalls, amid recognition that not every home can be saved
Long famed for its spectacular fishing, sprawling coral reefs and literary residents such as Ernest Hemingway, the Florida Keys is now acknowledging a previously unthinkable reality: it faces being overwhelmed by the rising seas and not every home can be saved.
Following a grueling seven-hour public meeting on Monday, held in the appropriately named city of Marathon, officials agreed to push ahead with a plan to elevate streets throughout the Keys to keep them from perpetual flooding, while admitting they do not have the money to do so.Continue reading...
May be interesting
- 24.06.2021 Don’t despair over the Senate: a new voting rights law has never been closer | David Litt
- 24.06.2021 Miami building collapse: one person reportedly killed and 10 injured
- 24.06.2021 The closure of Apple Daily marks the start of a sinister new era for Hong Kong | Louisa Lim
- 24.06.2021 Simone Manuel’s close call at US trials shows weight all Olympians carry
- 24.06.2021 Emergency operation under way after Miami building collapse