‘Cinema is my religion and the Castro is our Vatican’: shakeup at landmark San Francisco venue stuns locals
The city’s biggest arthouse cinema may become a live entertainment venue just shy of its 100th birthday
For years, the San Francisco underground drag performer and cinephile Peaches Christ has filled the city’s renowned Castro Theatre with her Midnight Mass series, juxtaposing cult film screenings with live, drag-parody re-enactments and onstage interviews. These loving but irreverent late-night events have been a staple of LGBTQ+ culture at the city’s pre-eminent arthouse theater, itself one of the most visible landmarks in San Francisco’s most famous gayborhood.
As Peaches Christ puts it: “Cinema has been my religion, and the Castro is our Vatican.”Continue reading...
May be interesting
- 22.01.2022 Monkey on loose in Pennsylvania after crash on way to laboratory
- 22.01.2022 Virginia woman charged for threats to ‘bring every gun’ over school mask rule
- 22.01.2022 Abolishing the filibuster won’t lead to a ‘tyranny of the majority’. It’s quite the opposite
- 22.01.2022 The creaky, mediocre Los Angeles Lakers should have seen this coming
- 22.01.2022 Kyrsten Sinema: Arizona Democrats censure senator for voting rights failure