No one but Ghislaine Maxwell is to blame for her revolting crimes | Dorothy Byrne
Jailed for 20 years yesterday, the procurer was a wicked, greedy and depraved criminal that no childhood troubles can excuse
The British former socialite and convicted procurer Ghislaine Maxwell has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for charges of recruiting and trafficking young girls.
It is a significant sentence that reflects the enormity of what the judge called her “heinous” crimes. In the weeks leading up to her sentencing, her lawyers presented arguments for her mitigation. Much of this was a lengthy description of Maxwell’s unhappy childhood. Before you get your hankies out and declare, “Ah, that explains it”, I will remind you of what Maxwell was convicted: conspiracy to entice minors to engage in illegal sex acts, conspiracy to transport minors with intent to engage in criminal sex activity, transporting a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity, conspiracy to commit sex trafficking of minors, and sex trafficking of a minor.
Ghislaine Maxwell: The Making of a Monster will be broadcast on Channel 4 at 9pm on 5 July. Dorothy Byrne is a documentary film-maker and the president of Murray Edwards College, Cambridge
Do you have an opinion on the issues raised in this article? If you would like to submit a letter of up to 300 words to be considered for publication, email it to us at [email protected]
May be interesting
- 29.06.2022 Texas tragedy highlights migrants’ perilous journey to cross US border
- 29.06.2022 Four men charged after police find link to Texas migrant deaths
- 29.06.2022 John Isner’s heavy metal game drums Andy Murray out of Wimbledon
- 29.06.2022 Emmett Till: family seeks arrest after discovery of unserved 1955 warrant
- 29.06.2022 Mixed results for Trump-backed candidates in Republican primaries – live